Thursday 16 January 2014

Finlandia


                   



                                         
         

   An orchestral work by Jean Sibelius that was first performed in July 1900 while Finland bore the yoke of the Russian tsar.
     When I hear it I see in my minds eye walking in the snows of a Canadian forest of  white birch.
     The opening bars of the music hints at a menacing presence in the stillness.
      Somber music mostly.Very fitting to the mood of a long drawn out cold snowy winter here

4 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

I find it quite haunting, GFB. Love that piece. Evokes many emotions.

XO
WWW

Government Funded Blogger said...


WWW: Its called Finlandia but it might also be known as Canadiana.

For some reason I am blocked from leaving a comment at your blog :(

Wisewebwoman said...

I will check that out, GFB - I miss your comments.

XO
WWW

ViewPoint2010 said...

GFB, beautiful piece. Sibelius nailed it with that 10 minute block. Hope you and your bride are continuing to do well. More snow on the east coast today. Guess we'll have it for a bit. Be well. vp