Monday 18 May 2015

$87,000

   I read something a month or so ago that on average our health care system spends over $87,000 on each elderly patients in their last month or so of life all on dubious tests and procedures meant to prolong life.
  The system is not totally at fault.It is abetted by family of the patient and by doctors not willing to admit defeat.

   I mention this because I am being subject to this treatment.I am curious to see how it works so I will let it go on for a bit. Case in point. A severe life threatening nose bleed that was stopped has spawned a scope into my stomach that revealed nothing followed by a ct scan that also revealed nothing and is now to be followed by a specialized bone scan. See where this is going?

   Now I feel that I am not in my last month of life.(knock on wood). I think if I do go it will be via my congested heart.It will be interesting to find out what other wasteful diagnostic tests are in store after the bone scan.
  Just give me the 87k and the wife and I will spend it on some good ole diagnostic R&;R.

   Remember that the number one killer in this world is Death. There is no preventing it.

2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

How right you are, I've been appalled at how much these interventions/diagnostics cost. Dying with dignity is the answer.

Sorry to hear you've been so unwell, GFB, but so glad you're back in Blogland :)

XO
WWW

Government Funded Blogger said...

Thank you for the comment WWW. I am happy to report that right now i am feeling well up to scratch. In fact if alcohol was allowed I would have a nice big glass of Toscana red just to celebrate :).