Thursday 8 May 2014

TRAIN



      Night Train out of Barstow

I am currently Reading  TRAIN by Tom Zoellner.I am a sucker for things to do with trains and railways probably because the men in my family except for me and my brother all worked on both railways as far back as late 1890s.My dad my grandfathers, my great grandfather, an uncle or two.My great grandfather met a grisly fate that eventually led to the railways marking overpasses over their tracks with lights.
  I remember travelling by train to Port Arthur with Mom in 1942 to her grandfather's funeral.The engine was a steam locomotive and the chugging sound of it had a rhythm to Holiday for Strings a piece that was popular back then.
 Even today when I hear that tune I picture the train going through the tunnels(six of them) that  paralleled the shoreline of Lake Superior. 




  Mr Zoellener  goes to where it all started nearly 200 years ago and travels by train from Thurso in Scotland to Lands End in England and striking up conversations with various fellow travelers.
 Next he moves on to India then to America then Russia ,China,then Peru and finally Spain.

   I am a third of the way through the book and I know that I will be sorry to have to put it down when I am finished

  


6 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh me too GFB, mad for trains. Always will be. I could tell you stories.

You will be envious when you hear I had a rail pass for continental Europe (AKA The Continent to those of us born in Ireland)as part of my work perk.

I trained Italy, France, Switzerland and parts between and caught "boat trains" to ferries, etc.

Magical days.

Your book sounds amazing. I must get.

XO
WWW

Government Funded Blogger said...

WWW.A rail pass for Europe has been my dream if ever Shirl and I get over there. Magical days indeed my friend!

Linda P. said...

My grandmother's cottage was so close to the train tracks that the house rocked when the trains came through at night. A major intersection nearby meant that the whistle was blowing when the train passed. Because I loved my grandmother and felt her love in return, the sound of a train, the whoosh of air when it passes and the tremor that you feel up through your feet if you're standing close enough always transport me back to the only place where I knew unconditional love.

Government Funded Blogger said...

Linda P thanks for your comment.I guess memories that you have and some I have and also some the author of TRAIN has is part of the mystique of trains.

ViewPoint2010 said...

Hey there GFB, too long between posts for all of us. Hope this finds you and Shirl in good spirit and even better health. Looks like summer has *finally* settled on the east coast - some nice weather lately although today and tomorrow are going to be monsoon-like.

I used to love taking the train when I lived in Ottawa. It seemed like it was so very convenient and I especially liked the sleeper cabins for overnight travel. Now, sadly, VIA has been cut back so far that it reminds me of the Delhi Express when Indians would be hanging onto the sides of the coaches and sitting on the roof.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Government Funded Blogger said...

VP: Its good to hear from you. All is well here and I hope the same is with you.